[mythtv] segmentation fault...

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Wed Oct 17 06:04:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 15:59:45 -0700, Fred McClain wrote:
> Tino Keitel wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 15:45:42 -0700, Fred McClain wrote:
> >
> >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
> >> <head>
> >> </head>
> >> I'm getting "internal compiler error: Segmentation fault" when I
> >> compile mythtv. I'd appreciate any help. Here are my particulars...<br>
> >>

> > Internal compiler errors are gcc errors, nothing MythTV specific.
> >
> > If the error occurs with different files each time you try it, then it
> > looks like a hardware issue (e.g. a faulty memory module).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tino
> >
> > P.S.: please disable HTML in your e-mails
> >
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I downloaded 'memtest86' and ran it
> for an hour on my system and found no memory problems.

Did it complete a whole test during that hour?

I once had a faulty memory module and memtest86 didn't detect it, even
after a full run.

> By the way, the 'segmentation error' does occur at different points
> during the make.

Then it looks like faulty hardware.

Other things you could try:

1.

- boot into a minimal system

- execute this command:

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ; do
dd if=/dev/partition_that_is_not_mounted bs=1024k count=1000 | md5sum
done

This reads 1000 MB from the hard disk - when you have more then 1 GB
RAM, adjust the 1000 to an number that is at least as big as your RAM.

Each md5sum run should show the same md5sum. If not, then there is
something broken. This is the procedure that detected the faulty memory
module in my laptop.

2.

- download mprime from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

- let it run for a few hours. mprime puts a lot of load on the CPU and
  also checks to results for correctness, which can be used to detect
  faulty hardware

You can also run both test procedures at the same time. When one of the
tests shows the error condition, you can start replacing hardware parts
(hard disk, memory, CPU, board) to see what exactly is the culprit.

Regards,
Tino