[mythtv] Aspect Question (svn -- probably a RTFM)

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Thu Oct 11 20:30:12 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yea - I see the same thing.  Running current SVN it's a little more
> difficult for me to get the aspect ratio correct on SD recordings.  I
> have a 16x9 TV, and when watching 16x9 content, it's perfect.
> However, when I watch 4x3 content the 16x9 override sometimes works
> and sometimes doesn't.
>
> Before "Zoom/Aspect" changes:
> 1) Aspect override is set to 16x9
> 2) 4x3 content without letterboxes is stretched to 16x9
> 3) 4x3 content with letterboxes is stretched out to 16x9, however
> letterboxes still exist at the top and bottom of the picture.  Picture
> fills the entire screen horizontally at this point (not vertically)
> 4) The entire picture can then be made to fill the whole screen by
> cycling through the aspect ratio options with the "W" key.  Filling
> the screen both vertically and horizontally.
>
> After "Zoom/Aspect" Changes:
> 1) Aspect override is set to 16x9
> 2) 4x3 content without letterboxes is stretched to 16x9
> 3) 4x3 content with letterboxes is stretched out to 16x9, however
> letterboxes still exist at the top and bottom of the picture.  Picture
> fills the entire screen horizontally at this point (not vertically)
> 4) However, you can no longer simply scroll through the "zoom" options
> with the "W" key.  If you do, you will begin to cut off the sides of
> the picture each time your zoom in to try and fill the screen
> vertically
> 5) You must turn off the 16x9 aspect ratio override
> 6) Now you can zoom in (usually to full) and it will fill the screen
> both vertically and hortizontally
>
> Why is this an "issue"?  Well... if for nothing more than negative
> points on the WAF factor, I used to have a single button that would
> toggle through all the aspect ratio options and my wife (or I) could
> always fill the screen regardless of the content.  Of course this was
> usually only necessary when watching 4x3 content with letterboxes
> because we had 16x9 aspect ratio override turned on.
>
> NOW... anything that's a 4x3 w/letterbox causes the problem where you
> have to go in, disable the override, then do a zoom.  This has added
> additional steps.  Also, if I were to turn off the 16x9 aspect ratio
> override, then the same problem would basically exist for 4x3 without
> letterbox where there would have to be a manual interaction to make it
> fill the screen.   Obviously this differs show to show.
>
> Either way, I just find this a regression in overall usability, not
> really overall functionality.
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

Exactly.  Now one button doesn't do it.

I think what we need to do next is set up a wiki page about what kind of
zooms / aspect changes we want / need, and make sure we can find a solution
that covers all of the bases.

Personally, I don't have a Myth setup (yet) on a 4:3, so I don't know what
kind of stretching / compression that screen may need.  We need to be
careful no to exclude their needs.  Once we can figure out what we want, we
can see what would be the easiest way to implement it.

I kind of like the idea of maybe a program based zoom.  Several of my
programs are always sent in 16:9 ratio onto my SD feed, and it'd be nice if
myth remembered my favorite setting (no aspect change, full zoom) for
viewing them.

-Dave

--
David Frascone