[mythtv] mythfilldatabase environment requirements

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Oct 3 11:09:09 UTC 2007

> On Wednesday 03 October 2007 01:26:21 Robin Gilks wrote:
>> I'm somewhat stuck with using tv_grab_nz-py in conjunction with
>> mythfilldatabase.
>>
>> tv_grab_nz-py works great from the command line but running it from
>> mythbackend as a scheduled mythfilldatabase activity causes problems
>> which
>> may be related to my environment. If I can get some idea of the
>> expectations of the grabber/backend combo then perhaps I can fix it!!
>>
>> I run the backend as the user 'mythtv'. This user has home directory of
>> /home/mythtv and a shell of /bin/false so as to prevent login attempts
>> on
>> my ssh port.
>
> There are other ways to prevent ssh logins for a particular user e.g. the
> DenyUsers configuration option or disallowing password logins. Maybe it
> would
> be easier to do something different to secure the machine?

I got bogged down in the PAM auth stuff so I didn't look any further. Not
having a shell is a quick fix since I only want to run the backend as that
user, not have that user logged in!

I'm not sure what get inherited from the root user that runs the startup
scripts (especially at the point at which mythbackend gets started), so it
could be that /etc/profile doesn't get loaded in which case a whole lump
of environment may be missing.

I'll have another play but also RTFM the Gentoo manuals and wiki to see if
there is a definitive statement of what is available at server startup
time.

--
Robin Gilks