[mythtv] List all episodes of a series

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:45:33 UTC 2007

I'm considering developing (what I think may be) a new feature, and
I'd like to gauge interest and see if anyone has done anything
similar already.

I'd really like to be able to see a list of all known episodes of a
given program, with indicators of whether or not each one has been:

- watched and deleted
- recorded, but not watched
- scheduled to be recorded
- not yet broadcast

Ideally the UI should allow you to:

- see when  a given episode was originally broadcast, when it was
recorded, etc.
- get more info about it (show the tv.com site?)
- play it, if currently recorded
- create or modify an existing recording rule
- maybe show a screen shot

I guess the hardest part is getting a reliable source for the data.
IMDB lists all the episodes, but has little else for many programs.
TV.com has a pretty good list, but no XML that I can find (though it
does have a printable version that could be scraped).

Then there's the issue of searching. If the series is named "Doctor
Who", how do you know if it's "Doctor Who (2005)" or the original
series from the 60's?

Anybody have suggestions?