[mythtv] mythtranscode: potential optimization

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 27 17:30:45 UTC 2007

Mark Steckel wrote:
> At 11:57 AM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
>
>> How can I determine if this is the case? Also, when is the seektable
>> set and is there a way to reset it.
>>

>> mythcommflag --rebuild
>>

> Thanks
>
> I did a --rebuild and then re-ran mythtranscode. There was no
> significant change in the time required or in the log output.
>
> Other ideas?

mythtranscode behaves differently depending on whether you told it to do
a normal transcode which is what Chris's example is doing or a lossless
transcode with the --mpeg2 option which it looks like you are doing? The
last time I looked the lossless transcoder scans though the entire file
at the end to create some sort of map file that as far as I know isn't
actually used by anything. It may also scan though the entire file
during the actual processing as well. The lossless transcoder is usually
pretty quick though?

Paul H.