[mythtv] Supporting more Hardware capture cards

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Nov 25 04:24:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 16:45 -0800, Sam Logen wrote:
> Well, I received a reply from someone from the V4L
> mailing lists, and it appears that what, Daniel, you
> called a bug, is intentional.  As Jelle describes it,
> it is to make sure that the mpeg device can only be
> opened once.

Ok, re-examining at the V4L2 spec, it does look like this type
of Microsofty behaviour is unfortunately still allowed. I still
think it's a bad idea to prevent the user from doing something
basic like use one program to tune and another to record. It
seems like that kind of design deficiency would never allow
something like freevo to work elegantly with this device. But
it looks like the V4L2 spec allows it, so it is technically not
a bug. Presumably this was allowed when the spec was written
to make porting bad MS Windows drivers to Linux a trivial task.

In any case, the same advice I gave for a bug work-around patch
applies. It would just be called an 'adding support for XYZ card'
patch instead of a 'working around bug in XYZ card' patch.

-- Daniel