[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Nov 23 16:43:24 UTC 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 12:24 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 23/11/2007, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 22, 2007, at 7:01 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:
>>
>>> I can't remember seeing any messages to this list asking what "video
>>> sources" means or someone not being able to set up their system
>>> based
>>> on the fact that they couldn't figure out what "video sources"
>>> means.
>>> I take that to mean that even if it's not immediately apparent, it's
>>> easy enough to figure out without needing any extra help from
>>> someone
>>> else. So maybe it's good enough. :)
>>>
>>> This line of thinking is why MythTV sucks so much more than it
>>> should.
>>
>> Let me just check on the code you've submitted and see how much
>> better
>> you've tried to make it.
>
> This line of thinking is precisely why F/OSS software can and does lag
> behind commercial/closed-source software more than it should. I bet
> there's more than a few users who submit code and then wonder why it
> sits in trac for months.

Actually, I think money is the reason it lags behind commercial
software. If the devs were all getting paid full time salaries it
wouldn't lag behind anything.

> I apologise in advance that I don't know your trac username offhand so
> I can't see what benefits you've given me, but I thank all developers
> (yourself included) for getting MythTV to its current level of
> stability and functionality.

I haven't submitted code. That's why I don't have the right (or
desire) to say "MythTV sucks". My point is that when you have the
opportunity to fix something and you don't AND you complain about it,
that's just whining.