[mythtv] Supporting more Hardware capture cards

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Nov 23 15:58:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:34 -0800, Sam Logen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I came to a problem with my closed captioning a while
> back for both my ATSC card and my H/W MPEG card.  For
> the ATSC card, my problem was that I was using
> libmpeg2 decoding.  I heard in some places that this
> doesn't support displaying captioning - so I really
> think there should be a disclaimer saying such if it
> is enabled in MythTV before others spend days wracking
> their brains as to why the captioning is not being
> displayed.

Done. The problem was that the text did not fit in the help
area for the decoder selector. Oscar, the MythTV translation
wrangler had the idea of updating the help text based on which
item you have selected last year, and I finally got around to
implementing it. Now when you select the libmpeg2 decoder it
tells you about this caveat with using this decoder instead
of the Standard full featured decoder.

> For the H/W MPEG card, the simple reason is that it's
> just not supported in Mythtv.  For those of you who
> know me, you know that I'm using the Avermedia M150
> card.
<snip>
> What would it take to have this card officially
> supported in Mythtv?

>From the patch it looks like the problem is with the Avermedia M150
driver, so it needs to be patched. The problem appears to be that
the driver only allows the device to be opened once, this is a bug.
I wouldn't totally reject a patch that worked around the driver bug,
but it would need to do the right thing when the bug isn't present
in the drivers, and also properly keep track of the open file
descriptors when the buggy driver is present. The patch you attached
appears to be more of a proof-of-concept patch.

-- Daniel