[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Nov 22 06:36:30 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 05:06:46PM -0500, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> (I'll bet a trade magazine aimed at transvestites -could- use the
> term "TV Guide", as long as they steered clear of the well-known
> logo for the scheduling guide, too, since there is (one hopes! :)
> little possibility of confusion...  Of course, prudent advice would
> be to avoid using it altogether, since even winning in court doesn't
> necessarily compensate for spending huge amounts of money and time
> proving the point; who needs the aggravation?  So most entities that
> aren't spoiling for a fight try to research existing trademarks and
> steer clear of them.)

In fact, because transvestism is considered so *far* from the
mainstream, Gemstar's magazine publishing arm would probably file a
disparagement claim, asserting that the sex mag publisher could not
have been doing anything other than trying to trade on "TV Guide's good
name" to enrich themselves, and that because their product was about
"all that sick weird sex crap", that it was inherently disparaging to
permit it to be published.

Or something.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA