[mythtv] Video Sources - time to call them what they are?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:28:26 UTC 2007

On 21/11/2007, Justin Hornsby <justin at mythtvthemes.co.uk> wrote:
> For some time now I've considered the possibility that 'Video Sources'
> are causing more confusion among users than necessary.
>
> Those of us more familiar with MythTV have no problem understanding the
> relationship between capture cards, card inputs & the 'video sources'.
> For new users though, the words 'video sources' more than likely conjure
> up images of actual video inputs - something that doesn't bear any
> relation to 'sources of TV Guide data'.

If we want to make things user friendly for new users (Linux, MythTV
or both) I would seriously suggest looking at how configuration is
handled in (for example) Windows MCE before changing odd page titles
and leaving the underlying setup functionality. Very clean interface,
and obvious terminology IMO.

A wizard-based approach that guides a user through everything they
need in order to configure a
card(hardware)/channels(tuning)/listings(data) from start to end - and
takes into account the differences between classes of cards, tuning
information, and listings sources by altering the required steps and
content of pages, would simplify things enormously.

As for Video Sources, 'Apply listings data to channels' gets my vote.
It describes what it is doing, and I would think new users would
immediately understand what it is going to do from the wording.
Although I might be wrong :)

Nick

--
Nick Morrott