[mythtv] revised greedy high motion deinterlacer

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Nov 21 19:37:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:50:02PM +0100, Markus Schulz wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. November 2007 schrieb David Engel:
> > appeared to be a slight improvement in this regard.  I will reserve
> > further judgement until I can watch some football and hockey recorded
> > in SD.
> In my opinion greedy high motion was one of the best (except yadif cause
> not tried) for fast moving interlaced pictures like sporting events.

Both greedyh and yadif looked good when I tried them.  The problem I
had then and the reason for my current reservation was that I couldn't
easily compare them with my current standard of Myth and bob 2x.  My
nvidia drivers have a suspected bug which prevents running
mplayer/xine after using MythTv (and vice versa) without resetting X
Windows first.  IOW, I had to log out and back in every time I wanted
to compare things.

> > and mirrors.  Markus has addressed this with the "doubleprocess" part
> > of his patch.
> yes, if there are other or better ideas, tell it please.

My only suggestion would be a better way for the filters to explicitly
describe their 2x capabilities/requirements.  The checking for
"doublerate" and now "doubleprocess" in the filter name is kind of
klugy IMO.  Fixing this would probably require a filter ABI change
which might or might not be desirable.

> there was one problem for mee, greedyh implementation works on yuv
> packed data only, therefore i'm convert yv12 planar to yuv packed and
> vice versa cause for now myth can only output yv12 planar.
> For SD content this has only small weight but for HD the overhead is
> notable compared to kerneldeint.

Ah, that could explain it.  That's one more reason to port yadif also.
It already supports yv12.

David Engel
david at istwok.net