[mythtv] Controlling the DCT2000 series STB

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Tue Nov 6 23:05:10 UTC 2007

Worldnet wrote:
> Actually the various scripts such as the serial cable code for the
> DCT2000 boxes already support all the functions of the remote. Look
> at the remote.h in the source directory and you can see what is
> supported. With IRblaster all you need to do is include the buttons
> you need in the .conf file
>
> This would work well but my question is number 3. I can alter the scripts
> to send the commands but how do you query the backend to see which tuner
> you are watching?
>
> If you can help me with #3 I would be more than happy to send my notes
> as they might apply to your situation.

I'm not clear as to why you care which tuner you are watching.  What you want
is for all the keypresses to go through, not just the number ones.  "YOU"
(the mythtv watcher) don't care which tuner it is going to, as long as mythtv
knows which tuner is which, and sends the appropriate key press codes to
the appropriate Serial port via the proper script instance, which should equate
to the tuner instance you are using for LiveTV.  Or am I missing something?

I have thought about playing with the DCT2000 channel application to see
if it can be made a bit more user friendlier, such as accepting
keywords, like 'up', down, '+', '-'.  'left', 'right' and others would
probably also be good.  And, I think that an interactive curses mode
could be handy, so you could use something like xawtv or mplayer to tune
the /dev/video0, and then in another window, bring up channel in curses
mode, and use the keyboard similar to a remote, using up/down/left/right
arrows, and numbers.  But, I have so many projects I would like to
work on, and so little time to actually commit to anything, that I
feel like it's only a pipe-dream, that will never get realized.