[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r14781 - intrunk/mythtv by nigel

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Nov 1 13:16:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 23:20 -0400, David wrote:

> That won't work.  The MediaRenderer upnp device/service is meant for
> mythfrontend only.  It is not used for autodiscovery at all.  It's for
> future support in controlling mythfrontend from a remote control point.
> (ie: send it a command to start playing a video.)  At this time, none of the
> MediaRenderer service methods/details are implemented.
>
> Also note: each upnp device/service gets a unique GUID to identify itself.
> Control points can then use the GUID to locate and register for state
> variable event notification.  This event subscription would be for a
> specific device/service.  If the control point connected to mythwelcome, and
> then it went away and was replaced by mythfrontend, all subscriptions would
> be invalidated and all the control points would lose access to the device.
>
> I do agree with you that the autodiscovery code should be shareable with
> other applications, but as stated above, the MediaRenderer class is not
> needed for it.

So what happens if I have three mythfrontend and two mythtv apps running
on one machine? Auto-discovery only works for the first mythfrontend to
start and not for the mythtv instances? Or do the second and third
mythfrontends get into some undefined state?

I know the second and third mythfrontends still appear to work when
using two different mysql.txt files, but is there something preventing
this from working when using autodiscovery?

BTW I've noticed two other problems with the mythfrontend autodiscovery,
it doesn't appear to be able to discover a mythbackend on the localhost
so when I forget to use the "-d" switch it invariably connects to the
wrong backend. And it doesn't check the myth protocol version before
listing a backend or connecting to it, so when I'm developing it won't
see the local backend and it will connect to the production backend
which is incompatible with it. (I always run with "-d" to avoid these
problems...)

-- Daniel