[mythtv] Internal DVD player incorrectly detects video scan (interlacing)

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Thu May 31 02:24:31 UTC 2007

David Asher wrote:
> The internal player always starts off in interlaced mode, then follows
> the flags provided by the video blindly.  It looks like this DVD's
> video is clearly stating it is progressive scan.  Every frame is
> saying progressive.  Unfortunately, many DVD's are authored
> incorrectly.  (See The Secrets of Home Theater website for a VERY
> involved discussion of the complexities of deinterlacing and how badly
> DVD's are often authored)
>
> My guess is that this is not a very solvable problem in the current
> state of things.  I would love to learn enough to know how to DETECT
> mis-flagged video like the Faroujda (sp?) hardware solutions do in
> higher end DVD players, but I haven't had the time.

That's unfortunate.   It's annoying for me, but now that I know the
problem it's not hard for me to override the interlacing.   But for an
average end-user, it would make DVD playback unusable in some instances.  :(

So is the progressive/interlacing information coming directly from the
disc?   And myth isn't really "detecting" the interlacing ... it's just
doing what the DVD disk tells us.     That does make things tricky.  :(

Thanks for the explanation,
Matt