[mythtv] Best way to use SVN version for deployment?

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 27 21:22:39 UTC 2007

Bruce Markey wrote:
> aaron wrote:
>>>>
>>> A lot of reasons--from permissions to symbolic and hard link handling
>> <.. snip lots of good stuff ..>
>>
>> Hm. I guess I've been lucky all these years... or I just haven't
>> copied source directories as often as I thought I had. :)
>
> The key for source dirs is to be sure to use "p":
>
>   -p     same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps

I've always used -a to copy larger trees - it's just the mutts nuts for
ensuring one copy is the same as the other.

       -a, --archive
              same as -dpR

Oh and if you are using tar try passing a "--exclude=.svn" to your
commands as this will reduce your tarball size (or rather it's extracted
size) but at least half.

Col