[mythtv] Need help catching a segfault in mythbackend?

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:19:21 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Mitko Haralanov <voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:08:34 -0500
> Matt Rude <mythtv at mattrude.com> wrote:
>
> > Try running running GDB and see what you get
>
> Yeah, I already thought of that but it doesn't help since the segfault
> happens when I am not around.
>
> Unless, I modify /etc/init.d/mythbackend to start gdb instead of
> mythbackend, your suggesting does not seem very viable.

Well, you have several options.  One is to set your system up so that it
will generate core dumps.  Another is to use gdb to attach to the running
mythbackend process.  Yet another is to not use /etc/init.d/mythbackend
(temporarily), and run mythbackend directly from gdb.  None of this requires
you to be there when it happens; you just need to start it up in a virtual
terminal (using xterm, or screen, or the like.)  It'll be there waiting for
you when you return.

Carl Fongheiser