[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Cameron Kilgore ghostfreeman at gmail.com
Fri May 11 14:50:21 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Jean-Philippe Steinmetz <caskater47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Isaac has actually come close to this a couple of times.  MythTV is open
> > source because it's the "right" thing to do, and it means less work for
> > him to do on his project if other people are helping take up some of the
> > slack.  I don't think anyone actually FEELS that way, though.
> >
> > ... will reply to your earlier post when I have some time after work.
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> Thats understandable. I'm not really trying to suggest commercializing myth
> to the point of world domination. What i'm suggesting is simply making
> things a little easier for the noob whether they be a seasoned developer or
> not. When I was first introduced to myth I found it far more difficult to
> get running perfectly than any app should be. Another good description i've
> heard of that i've even used myself is "impossible to set up, but once done,
> impossible to give up."
>
> Jean-Philippe

I understand and respect the direction the myth developers want to
take the application, but not acting like there are going to be some
new users that will stumble upon the site is turning away from the
obvious (we've gotten a lot of attention through Digg the past year
and a half). There are ways we can do this that will not scare away
the developers, force a rebranding or change of direction of the
project.

I think a good example of this would be on sites for projects such as
Ruby, Django, where they do have a column usually placed near the
header that gives new users a form of introduction to the application,
a link to a page that describes it further, etc. It could be dropped
in on the news page without being too obtrusive even for developers.