[mythtv] advice wanted - building my own remote control

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 10 01:43:24 UTC 2007

On 07/05/07, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:

> have info on the sony protocol and RC5 (which is what a lot of devices use).
> first thing is to get anything work and go from there.

If going the IR route I would suggest using the RC5 protocol and
having the remote directly compatible with the Hauppauge IR receiver -
there's a *big* market there :)

Buttons I would like to see on a dedicated for-MythTV remote (see
keys.txt for more) include:

'Select'/'tag' in addition to 'Play'
'Timestretch +/-'
'Zoom' for playback zoom
'Widescreen' to cycle between FS/WS/zoom modes
'Volume +/-' independent of TV itself
'Sleep timer'
'Jump +/-'
Usual DVD controls
Teletext/FastText/Interactive controls
Picture adjustment
'PiP' focus/swap
'Home' and 'End'

I currently use the Sky Navigator remote with concealed keyboard in
the lounge, and whilst I can use the keyboard for non-bound remote
buttons, the remote was designed for a single purpose - a Sky box - so
having some of these keys on a regular remote would allow immediate
access to these functions.

Good luck with the project, if you need testers I'd be very interested :)

MythTV Official wiki:
MythTV users list archive: