[mythtv] Padding of recordings

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 23:14:40 UTC 2007

On 3/7/07, Martin Long <mythtv at longhome.co.uk> wrote:
> The problem is, that doesn't provide the required behaviour. If I add
> padding to the individual recording rules, then it would flag a conflict as
> opposed to just dropping the padding.
>
> The (or at least my) desired behaviour is:
>
>    - If a tuner is free, use it to preserve the padding.
>    - If a tuner isn't free, but not conflicts otherwise, drop the padding.
>
> I understand what you're saying about the many people who have a mix of
> tuners analogue / digital / digibox, but I know many people who do exactly
> what I do, and have 3 - 6 identical tuners. It would be nice to be able to
> implement the above behaviour in some way - JIT allocation, or otherwise.
> Even if you have to flag somewhere that all tuners are the same.
>
> Martin

I also would like it to work this way.  It just has not bothered me
enough to look into making it work that way.

I have read that Directv's new HD DVR actually has the ability to PAD
two subsequent shows on the same channel, using a single tuner.  In
other words, if each shows is set to have 5 minutes pre/post padding,
during the 10 minutes of overlap, it will record to *each* of the
show's files.  Pretty cool feature if you are short on tuners (and
subsequent shows happen to be on the same channel).

John