[mythtv] Recording audio only from an STB

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Mar 7 09:46:53 UTC 2007

Greetings

I'm posting this question here (rather than the user list) as I think I'm
going to be hacking code and will need some pointers!!

My sat provider has some 20 'radio' channels that present a fixed image on
screen whilst playing a stereo soundtrack.

If I want to record this, I use the same connection as I use for anything
else from my STB by going into the S-Video input and external audio
connections on my pvr150 card. The resultant recording is 1.5Gigs of still
frame video and a couple of 100's megs of audio.

Any ideas on how I can either not record the video stream at all for some
channels or reclaim the space easily and automagically. Would transcoding
reduce the video portion much and still allow playback?

Recording profiles are no good (i.e defining a low video bit rate) as that
affects the video quality from normal stations recorded off the STB unless
there is a way of defining a profile per channel. Certainly a problem if
using the LiveTV profile and then hit record. It is an improvement on a
scheduled recording with the low quality profile set with as low a bit
rate as possible.

I gather that direct DVB radio channels have a very low bit rate video
stream (presumably what my STB is displaying) - any ideas on how that
could be faked when using a hardware encoder card such as the pvr150?

Is there perhaps a way of using another (eg. composite) input on the
pvr150 (but not connect anything to it) which shares the external audio
inputs with the S-Video but allowing for a different recording profile
perhaps?

I'd appreciate your thoughts folks...

--
Robin Gilks