[mythtv] add support for SQLite?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 5 16:04:28 UTC 2007

On 03/05/2007 09:33 AM, James Chapman wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
>  > James Chapman wrote:
>
>>> Anyways, the reason for my original post was to find out if anyone was
>>> already working on SQLite so as to avoid doing duplicate work. It seems
>>> no. So I'll go away and develop a patch.
>>>
>> We don't really want to have to support multiple database types.  It's quite a
>> bit of extra work.  I _would_ like to switch to embedded mysql - that should
>> get us most of the largest benefits of moving to sqlite without the added
>> pain of reworking large amounts of code.
>>

> Rework large amounts of code? Wouldn't all of this be handled by the Qt
> SQL abstraction? I was thinking none of the SQL code of MythTV would
> need to be changed, unless perhaps an obscure SQL feature was being
> used. Maybe I'm missing something?

There are a lot of MySQL-specific things in there.  For those who are
concerned about how stupid that is, I suggest you check out the (tiny)
subset of truly-database-independent SQL before posting any remarks.  If
we were to use only that, we would be just as well off writing our own
database management system as part of Myth...

It's amazing how much extra code we have just to support MySQL 3.23.
Even MySQL-version-independent SQL is a pain.  True, it's only
independent of versions between 3.23 and 5.x, but that actually helps
prove my point.

Mike