[mythtv] Schema updates

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Mar 5 07:12:07 UTC 2007

    > Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:31:25 -0500
    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    > On 03/05/2007 12:20 AM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
    > > [Do we repair/optimize the DB before allowing an upgrade to commence?
    > > Should we?  Seems like a good idea---it might lessen the risk that a
    > > crashed table will stop the upgrade in an unfortunate place, with
    > > indeterminate results.]

    > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254631#254631

Oh right.

I remembered that thread, but was remembering it as "repairing and
optimizing daily at random times" and forgot about R/O failing on
non-MyISAM etc.  But maybe we -could- just ignore failures on other
engines?  If we tried to do it automatically (I'm talking for schema
upgrades only, here :), it'd be one less step for "normal" users to
remember, and presumably people who've changed their storage engines
from the default are on their own anyway.

(I admit it's not a crucial point, but ISTR a couple of people in the
last few months having upgrades go awry because they started with
broken tables---and then having lots of trouble debugging the
resulting incompletely-upgraded state.  Sure, they shoulda fixed 'em
manually first, but...)