[mythtv] Extending commflag to detect borked recordings

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jun 20 00:45:49 UTC 2007

Mr. Myth wrote:
> Tony Lill wrote:
>> Now, either mythcomflag can return a value that the jobqueue code
>> could interpret and do a delete with re-record, or the commflag
>> program could send a delete message to the backend.
>>
>> What do y'all think of this?
>>

> I would really like to see the ability to mark a show as 're-record' but
> keep the older show until the new one has been successful.  That way if
> it is never rebroadcast I can at least watch part of the original showing.

Agreed.  I'm not sure how reliable blank frame detection is, but I'd hate to
have a show get deleted and marked to rerecord every time it is broadcast just
because a lot of the scenes are very dark.  But it would be really good if
there was some indication when selecting a recording to watch that it is
suspected to be broken, so you could investigate before starting to watch it.

Another condition to watch out for is a short recording.  I have a problem
where my backend occasionally just dies, so any recordings being made at the
time wind up short.  Any recording that is substantially shorter than the
scheduled time (counting start early/end late) should also be marked as
suspected to be bad.  OTOH, I've now got monit restarting my backend when it
dies, so I wind up with two short recordings instead of one long one.  So I
wouldn't want myth deleting either or both without asking, only marking them as
suspected to be bad.

--
Peter Schachte              The future ain't what it used to be.
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU            -- Yogi Berra