[mythtv] How to use remoter to control External UI which is switched or tranformed from MythTV mainmenu UI item

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Jun 14 10:34:21 UTC 2007

On Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 06:02:41PM +0800, Xi Jiarong wrote:

> Hello, every MythTV lover, hope to get your help for my current problem
> Now, I am using MythTV properlly with a remote control which is attached
> with the Hauppauge WINTV card box.
> We hope to expend the function of MythTV via a "EXEC sh External_UI.sh" to
> run an external UI which realize some other services.
> However, now I can't use the remote control to control the External_UI
> which is switched or so called transformed from one item in MythTV mainmenu
> UI.
> Therefore, How to still use this remoter to control the External_UI? What I
> need to do for this target?
> Any suggestion would be welcom greatly!
> Many thanks for you!

If you're wanting to use the remote with an external application then
there's a few options:

 - The application supports LIRC natively.  In this case you just need
   to add the necessary entries to your .lircrc file (using a relevant
   prog= line for each).
 - The application can be controlled, after startup, via commands sent
   from the command-line (either using another application or by calling
   the original application with different parameters).  In this case
   you can use irexec to run the necessary commands in response to the
   remote button presses.
 - The application has no external control method.  Here you'll have to
   use irxevent to pass key presses or X command sequences to the
   application ("man irxevent" should give you details on this).

If you need more details then let us know which of the above applies so
we can provide the appropriate commands/config options.  Alternately,
you may be able to get better support by asking the author/support forum
for the external application - it's not really a Myth issue.

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___