[mythtv] Theme source location update proposal (and mythcontrol plugin widescreen ui problem)

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:10:08 UTC 2007

On 10/06/07, Justin Hornsby <justin.hornsby at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought the general idea was to have generic versions of all the
> $foobar-ui.xml files within the theme storage area of a mythtv
> installation - e.g. /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default - with wide theme
> generic files stored under default-wide.
>
> This works, theme designers can specify their own $foobar-ui.xml files
> if they want and those will override the defaults.
>
> What's the problem?

Second issue first, I am not saying there is a problem and if the devs
think this is the best way then cool.

It seemed to me that the reason that the controls-ui.xml for the wide
screen theme got missed is that the 4:3 controls-ui.xml file is within
the plugins/mythcontrols/mythcontrols directory (with the rest of the
mythcontrol plugin source files) and the 16:9 controls-ui.xml  is
within the mythtv/themes/default-wide.

First point - we agree here, you are right, the default (and
default-wide) installation directory holds the default theme files. I
was only proposing to move the source theme files for the wide screen
versions into the plugin directory they correspond to. The
installation process can copy them to the
install_dir/share/mythtv/themes/default and
install_dir/share/mythtv/themes/default-wide locations.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I just noticed the way the
source theme files for the wide screen version of the plugins was
organised and thought it was counter intuitive.

I'm not a programmer (in fact I am an ASIC design engineer) but can
lend a hand with the tedious tasks that the devs may not get around
to. :)

Cheers,

Roo.