[mythtv] HD-Homerun not scanning, where to look?

David Shay david at shay.net
Sat Jun 9 14:08:01 UTC 2007

On 6/8/07, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> > Derek Atkins wrote:

> > > This works for me in making it reliably find the HDHR, but the
> > > scan still shows no channels.  I'm wondering if it's because
> > > there's no EIT information so every channel shows up like:
> > >
> > > SCANNING: 627000000 (us-cable:91, us-irc:91)
> > > LOCK: qam256 (ss=83 snq=90 seq=100)
> > > PROGRAM: 2: 0.0
> > > PROGRAM: 3: 0.0
> > > PROGRAM: 4: 0.0
> > > SCANNING: 633000000 (us-cable:92, us-irc:92)
> > > LOCK: qam256 (ss=89 snq=90 seq=100)
> > > PROGRAM: 8: 0.0 (encrypted)
> > > PROGRAM: 51: 0.0 (encrypted)

> > > I'm running trunk.
> > >
> > If you can downgrade to trunk SVN rev 12618, and run the scan it should
> > work, and then you can re-upgrade to latest SVN. That's the only way
> > I've been able to get the HDHR to do a successful scan for me.
>
> I'm at .20 and it doesn't work. SVN trunk also doesn't work. Are you
> indicating that changes between .20 and SVN 12618 make this work, but
> then it gets broken again between 12618 and current?
>
> Clearly chgset 12619 does a bunch of stuff.  In doing a diff between
> .20 and 12618, the major HD HomeRun changes appear to be related to
> updating the hdhomerun libraries, as well as some changes to
> hdhrsignalmonitor and hdhrrecorder.  I suppose this seems plausible
> then, I just wanted to make sure there was real good reason to believe
> this before I took the plunge.
>
> Thanks.

OK, took some backups and went to 12618.  The good news is that
scanning now works.  The bad news is that I too have some screwed up
EIT/PSIP data such that in over 70% of my channels, instead of getting
an actual channel # and/or call sign, I get the SAME bad channel #, in
my case "1008.0" -- in Derek's case above "0.0".  In such a case, it
would appear that you'll never get all of these channels added.  I'm
re-running it right now with "rename to match" instead of "minimal
updates" but I'm fairly certain that won't fix the situation either.

I'm pretty much at the point where I only have about 15 channels, and
I have all of the data from hdhomerun_config, so I'd be fine with
manual data entry and correction, which obviously I'm going to have to
do some of anyway since the mapped channel #s and callsigns aren't
there.  Is there a simple mapping of this data from hdhomerun_config
into the backend tables directly?  I know there is a wiki entry out
there on manual table entries, but it appears more oriented to a
"real" dvb/atsc card than an hdhomerun device.