[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13550

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:25:20 UTC 2007

On 05/06/07, Matt Rude <mythtv at mattrude.com> wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
> >       Author: xris
> >         Date: 2007-05-31 22:38:28 +0000 (Thu, 31 May 2007)
> > New Revision: 13550
> >    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13550
> >
> > Added:
> >
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/README
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/fedora.init.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/fedora.sysconfig.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/lsb.init.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/mandrake91.sysconfig.lircd
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/slackware.init.mythbackend
> >
> > Removed:
> >
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/README
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/etc.init.d.mythbackend.lsb
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/etc.rc.d.init.d.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/etc.rc.mythbackend.slackware
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/etc.sysconfig.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/fedora.init.mythbackend
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/mandrake91.etc.sysconfig.lircd
> >    trunk/mythtv/contrib/sysV/
> >
> > Log:
> >
> > rename sysV to init_scripts to be clearer about those things that don't actually use sysV
> >

> I'm building a fresh install of fedora Mythtv from the trunk and could
> not get the provided init script to work so after looking at my notes
> and playing with some options. I have made a diff file that works on my
> fedora 7 setup.
>
> Dose the current
> trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts/fedora.init.mythbackend file work for
> other people?

Matt,

I'm guessing it's failing for you because you do not have
/var/lib/mythtv/ ? xris's new version doesn't check whether this
directory actually exists before using it in the start() function. so
if the directory does not exist, the backend will not start. It
doesn't exist on my system, FWIW.

There are also some other issues with this file which I'm working on a
patch for - such as failing to remove the pidfile on shutdown and
checking whether the MythTV user? is executable... I saw your patch
for the MBE binary location error so I'll remove that from my diff
before I post.

Anduin,

I posted a working pidfile patch in April
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3370) which has not been updated to
reflect r13550, so I guess it should be closed, once the current
script works.

There is also a logrotate script
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3371) which takes advantage of the
pidfile support which can be committed.

I'll try to look into whether Fedora does indeed now support the
--user option, as opinion has been divided on that for some time. Does
F7 finally resolve this issue?

Regarding the $HOME issue for the backend init script, should we just
bail out if it does not exist with an appropriate error msg? It's
configurable via /etc/sysconfig/mythbackend, so if thought appropriate
I could add this to my patch.

Finally, does the script need to be called with daemon $BINARY
--daemon? Are both daemon options required?

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/