[mythtv] Time to Vote? (as Re: Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Jun 5 07:26:22 UTC 2007

Jean-Philippe Steinmetz wrote:
> Personally I feel the logo as simple text is the most powerful. While
> the spriongy thing is cool it's just not as visually effective. I've
> removed the images from the banner. It looks very clean and solid but
> I still like having some imagery in there.

I agree, which is why I switched out the bubble+sproingy image in
MythWeb.  If the sproingy must stay, I kind of like Ghosts's take on it
(sorry, can't find your real name), or at least to have that bit of
texture behind the logo.  The sproingy is actually an egg separator, and
if I recall correctly, was used because it "looked cool" behind the
logo, rather than being something specifically relating to tv/etc.  In
the end, however, the decision of which logo to use will likely fall on
the core devs as a whole.  I think at least with your design, it should
be easy enough to swap back and forth as necessary.

I'm not against imagery, either.  I just need to know that we have the
rights to use whatever we might put there.

> That's an excellent point and my own experience with studies have
> shown the same thing. Although that doesn't mean this can't be broken
> from time to time. This is especially true in cinema where most text
> is light-on-dark. This is due to the low lighting situation. I
> originally did it this way to portray the same low lighting feeling
> of watching tv.

I personally like light-on-dark because it's easier for the eyes to
focus on, and thus reduces eye strain.  I suspect that the
probably-unconscious distaste for it in web pages is because it's not
what people are accustomed to looking at.

I also like your colors, but feel that we should at least entertain the
idea of using others, and follow the "you are not the user" mantra that
seems to work well for UI design in other situations.  If done properly
(and it will be), it should be really easy for users to switch color
schemes if they want, too.  Although I'm not a huge fan of gimmicks like
that on sites that users don't actually "own" a part of.

> http://caskater4.khram.com/MythTV.org_D1_TopLevel_light.png
>
> It keeps the style reasonably well while bringing it into the
> dark-on-light color space.

Looks really nice, actually.  I put it with the rest of the mockups.

-Chris