[mythtv] Time to Vote? (as Re: Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Jun 5 00:01:00 UTC 2007

Sorry for being silent for so long.  I've apparently been quite busy and
let things pile up.

So...  The general consensus among devs in impromptu IRC discussion is:

Jean-Philippe's colors/layout are the favorites, with Herman's coming in
at a close second (but too bloggish).  We do we need to come up with
some other kind of images for the header for Jean-Philippe's, since the
ones he used in the mockup have an unknown copyright status.  I
personally like Ghost's play on the sproingy, but Isaac says he is still
partial to the current "bubble" form of the sproingy.

I also liked Miguel's design (again, too bloggish), but the consensus is
that the logo should stay what it is, and no one really liked the orange
color, so it looks like we should stick with the current use of blues
and greys for future designs.

I've also been playing around with left-nav ideas at

  http://newmyth.forevermore.net/

And am not sure if it's worth keeping the stuff at the top, since
leaving that space empty could be used for subsite-specific info
(trac/wiki login, etc. like Pidgin.im does).

I did also get a recommendation from the graphic designer at work, which
is that studies seem to show that (as much as I personally prefer it)
light-on-dark web pages tend to cause people to browse away faster than
normal dark-on-light ones.

At this point, I have a couple of requests to you artists..   Aim for
something similar in layout to Jean-Phillippe's (i.e. get away from
bloggish layouts), but see what things would look like in a color set
more inclined to keeping people looking at the page (I'll try to
rearrange the colors in my "newmyth" page to give some approximate ideas
of what to aim for).  For the logo, please stick with either the plain
silver MythTV (like Jean-Philippe and Ghost did) or the current
bubble+sproingy like Herman's.

At this point, we should also start thinking about what information goes
on the front page.  I like the direction that Jean-Philippe is headed,
so I'm going to say that we at least need an overview (preferably with a
small screenshot or two) and a couple of "news" entries (but not have
them be the main focus).  That might still leave space for other
information, so I'll let you guys offer ideas for what should go there.
 Again, *really* rough layout mockup at:

    http://newmyth.forevermore.net/

-Chris