[mythtv] MythTV vs. Vista MCE: First Impressions (Looong!)

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 4 14:23:51 UTC 2007

Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 13:39:07 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Thought this link I found on /. may make interesting reading:
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855576
>
> Colin, is reading this going to cause my blood pressure to soar? By that, I
> mean is it a factually accurate article, or is it full of a usual mistakes
> and "I couldn't setup lirc, so mythtv sucks" type comments?

Well it's a bit hit and miss. Some comments are of the pointless "I need
my hand held" type spitting out of the dummy because they couldn't get
it to work within 5 mins of installing and doing zero background
reading. But that said the main article is faily interesting from a
comparative sense. The author is a self proclaimed Linux advocate and
openly bashes Microsoft, so any pros to MCE/cons to Myth are probably
fairly valid ones. He has also mentioned he had some issues that
required manual tweaks in myth but brushed them off rather than singling
them out as "blockers" etc. as many writeups do.

I think the the main points of interest are probably in the UI of the
frontend. He praises the backend but ultimately resigns to the fact that
MCE has a a much more visually impressive/intuitive UI on the frontend.

All fairly valid points IMO that can perhaps be learned from, but YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Col