[mythtv] MythTV vs. Vista MCE: First Impressions (Looong!)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 4 13:48:09 UTC 2007

On 06/04/2007 08:59 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 13:39:07 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> Thought this link I found on /. may make interesting reading:
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855576
>>
> Colin, is reading this going to cause my blood pressure to soar? By that, I
> mean is it a factually accurate article, or is it full of a usual mistakes
> and "I couldn't setup lirc, so mythtv sucks" type comments?

"First Impressions."  'nuff said...  (Not that long, though, so the pain
is over quickly.)

And, he helpfully points out that, "The OTHER MythTV app with possible
illegal applications, 'Torrentocracy', is now no longer working with
later versions of MythTV."  (The first application was the DVD backup.)

Great quotes:
"Wow, I've done lots of configuration on this [MythTV] system and it's
now feeling a bit like work. Maybe I should try MCE for a while- the
pictures look nice!"

all the time on my system."  Except for my
6-months-of-every-component-on-my-master-backend-except-the-CPU-breaking-one-by-one
episode, I haven't had this problem, so I have to assume I configured my
system incorrectly.

Also there are plenty of the the obligatory, "I haven't been able to get
Myth to work" me too's in there.  And the "Frankly, there's no
comparison between the [cable-company-provided] commercial DVR and
MythTV. The commercial system does everything faster (powering up,
changing channels) and never, ever crashes," comment is the one that
sold me.  I guess it turns out that MythTV is inappropriate for HDTV, so
I'll be switching today...

But then again, some said I should use Elisa, the "most anticipated of
the next round of media center software."  I guess I could give up the
PVR/DVR capabilities of my, er, PVR/DVR and instead just have anticipation.

Mike