[mythtv] ... channel change times....?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jul 19 15:54:51 UTC 2007

Janne Grunau wrote:
> On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:24:35 Erez D wrote:
>
>> so when changing channels, does myth wait for pat and pmt ?
>> if so, this could explain why it takes so long to change channels.
>>

> No, PAT and all PMTs are cached and repeated regulary with an interval
> less than 0.5 seconds.

My vote is that we add more and better logging to the channel change
code so that it's easy enough to look in the log files and get problem
reports which say:

- Log file shows it taking 0.7s to get a channel lock - only takes 0.3s
with xxxx.

These can then be debugged.  At the moment people are just guessing at
why channel changing takes so long and other people are guessing at the
answer

When I last looked (long while back though) there was stuff like 0.2-0.5
secs waiting for audio or video to pause (couldn't see why we need this
pause).  Also I was able to pull the frontend buffering down quite a bit

I'm not really familiar enough with the front/backend tv tuning code to
put in proper instrumentation, but perhaps someone can help add
something and then we can start to put an end to these silly threads
which crop up every few months...

Ed W