[mythtv] New icons commited today

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 00:31:48 UTC 2007

The dd.png and stereo.png icons are NOT the same. They might look the
same in the webpage preview but believe me they're not.

The problem I had is that when the themes are updated to have all the
new icons in place, versions of mythtv which don't support them will
just draw them anyway in the order they appear in ui.xml.  This is
obviously far from ideal.

So, rather than make fully opaque icons (which might look bad on a lot
of themes if the background colour clashes) I tried to make them so
they won't look too bad when they're superimposed on each other.

This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't trying to make themes which
work across all versions of mythtv.  Maintaining 8 themes of my own is
enough work without splitting them off again into SVN & -fixes
versions, let alone all the other theme maintenance I need to do.

Other than that, there are issues to do with making a reasonable icon
in 32x32 pixels (the default icon size).  Text only works up to a
certain number of characters and making the icons bigger only eats
into screen space that should really (IMHO) be devoted to other stuff.

I know we can't use 'official' DD & dolby logos without the right
permission - that sucks to a certain extent but what can we do about
it?  Not much.

Obviously when 0.21 is the release du jour I can knock myself out
making new icons & not have to worry about them being drawn over one
another.

If anybody has a solution to these issues I'm all ears...

regards,
Justin.
--
Justin Hornsby
Creator of ProjectGrayhem, blootube and neon-wide themes for MythTV