[mythtv] xmltv and mythfilldatabase

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:49:46 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2007 10:08 AM, jack snodgrass wrote:
> > Since the xmltv stuff does not need to be installed for
> > mythfilldatabase to work... I'm
> > going to go out on a limb and say that mythfilldatabase does not use
> > the xmltv code
> > to pull data from zap2it....
> >

> Right.
>
> > I know that mythfilldatabase will use a xmltv file in passed with the
> > --file argument, but
> > I'm wondering if there is additional info the mythfilldatabase will
> > use besides the
> > xmltv file format.
> >
> > For example... if I use tv_grab_na_dd to get listing for my area... I
> > don't see anything
> > in the listing that says if a show is HD or not.  If I let
> > mythfilldatabase pull the data
> > itself... I see some shows listed as HDTV.
> >
> > Are there other fields that the mythfilldatabase can get from zap2it
> > that the tv_grab_na_dd
> > program chooses to ignore?
>
> Yep.  Quite a bit of additional information is retrieved using the
> Zap2It data directly rather than XMLTV output.

it this documented anywhere by any chance? Maybe an example input file
that mythfilldatabase --file understands?

> I know XMLTV was working on another DTD which would allow for inclusion
> of much more data, but I don't know whether they've transitioned to the
> new format.  (I kind of quit watching XMLTV development when I quit
> using it.)  I would expect if the "old" schema doesn't allow inclusion
> of info about whether a show is high-def or not, the new will.

... saw that.. but the first thing I looked at:
http://xmltv.org/wiki/new_file_format
about the new format gives a 404 page not found error... I didn't look at
that any further.

> But, you did see the preliminary (official) announcement about the
> DataDirect replacement, right?  (In other words, the devs are taking
> care of making sure you don't need to learn this.  :)  So, if there's
> really a reason you need to find out how it's working, please ask a more
> specific question/explain where you're going with it.)

... I did... but I didn't see any specifics as to how  or cost AND
more importantly...
zap2it has stopped providing listings for my 76092 OTA area already... they
may or may not fix it before I run out of data in 8 days.....

Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2007-07-11 20:41 and ended on
2007-07-11 20:41. Successful.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: 2007-07-12 21:50.
There's guide data until 2007-07-20 00:37 (8 days).

So... instead of rely on a outside source for my listings... I want to look at
providing my own source.

I have the TMS data for the channels that I receive ( 5 HD channels ) and
mythfilldatabase should be able to take a xmltv-like file and load my data....
so that's what I'm looking at doing for now.  As I am creating my xmltv-like
input file... I'm seeing data that I have access to ( or that mythweb seems
to have acess to ) that the xmltv spec does not seem to address so I wanted
to see if the input file that mythfilldatabase read had more details on the
fields that it understands.

jack - with guide data for 8 more days....