[mythtv] ... channel change times....?

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 12 10:31:39 UTC 2007

me at blaue0.net wrote:
> The reason for channel changing taking longer than with your app is
> that mythtv needs to record a given amount of video before it starts
> to play, in order for timeshifting to work.

Do we really need to buffer a certain amount of data before we can
timeshift? I would have thought it would be more to do with ensuring
smooth playback to allow for various network/file writing delays etc?

Would an option that automatically slows down playback (e.g. 0.9 speed)
for a small amount of time after changing channels to build up buffer
space be sensible? Would this help in any way? Would it just look wrong?

I doubt I could create a patch anytime soon, so this is not an offer
just yet. Just asking if this could work :)

Col