[mythtv] mtd: libdvdread vs libdvdnav

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Jul 4 17:07:41 UTC 2007

> Presumably any DVD with "RipGuard" would also have CSS and
> so would probably be illegal to import into MythTV for most
> of the devs on this list. Hence we are unlikely to help you,
> and this does not pertain to MythTV development since it
> is _highly_ unlikely that a DVD copy protection bypass would
> be committed to the MythTV tree.

I don't really see that this follows.  Ripping functionality is in myth
already - the original poster just asked how to fix some "bugs" in it.

CSS seems irrelevant to the original point since "ripguard" is just a
silly way to have bad sectors on your disk.  It can be "circumvented"
simply by playing the disk correctly rather than ripping all the sectors
of the disk blindly - hence it's arguably no more copy protection than
it is a test case that your dvd read code is correctly parsing the DVD
structure.

Also, an increasing number of countries seem to no longer have any
issues with CSS, and even the US seems to be showing signs of cracking.
IANAL, but given that every (modern) windows player out there now seems
to correctly bypass CSS and ripguard with zero problems and given that
Windows appears to be the dominant OS out there then certainly this is
about the last player out there which still can't read modern DVDs.

It certainly drives me nuts that having bragged to a bunch of friends
about linux and Mythtv that they will then bring a DVD round, or I rent
one from the video shop and quite likely find that it doesn't rip off
correctly to play...  Inevitably I end up having to drag out the Windows
laptop and rip it there instead.  FWIW I am in the UK and we appear to
have adequate fair use protection for making a personal backup of a DVD.

Myth already has functionality to rip disks correctly.  It's up to the
user if they wish to bypass CSS or not, outside of the scope of Myth.
If the original posters question was simply about how to streamline this
process and avoid ripping unused sectors from the disk and also how to
streamline the ripper to correctly parse the DVD structures then this
seems to be completely ontopic?

Regards

Ed W

P.S.  Try dumping the output to /dev/null, possibly you are writing the
output in small chunks and hitting a disk bottleneck.  Possibly also you
have some magic on your drive to prevent it spinning up in speed - try
forcing the disk speed higher...?