[mythtv] mtd: libdvdread vs libdvdnav

Bradley Kite bradley.kite at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:00:28 UTC 2007

On 04/07/07, Anduin Withers <awithers at anduin.com> wrote:

> > I'm currently looking into converting Myth Transcoding Daemon to use
> > libdvdnav (as libmythdvdnav) instead of libdvdread because this is what
> is
>
> > used when actually watching DVDs in the first place (removes a
> dependency)
>
> It removes exactly zero dependencies; dvdnav contains dvdread, mtd has
> been
> using libmythdvdnav for some time.

So it does - I was just looking at the code and assumed...

> Any other general guidence will be welcomed also!
>
> You should just fix the vobu cell traversal code, some next step sanity
> checks should make things better.

I don't know specifically how RipGuard copy protection works (or indeed
other kinds of copy protection) but my best guess so far is that there are
some special DVD packets that get the player to skip over empty cells/bad
sectors, which is why it plays OK but does not rip (because dvdread
sequentially & blindly reads the sectors). I think this will be hard to get
around without running it through a DVD VM, which dvdnav does. Its just the
performance that I need to fix.

Thats not to say that I've made another assumption tho :-)

Regards
--
Brad.