[mythtv] Lockup on Mac OS X wake from sleep

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Jan 30 14:41:23 UTC 2007

At 2:26 PM +1100 1/29/07, Nigel Pearson wrote:
>On 12/01/2007, at 4:04 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
>>I confirmed that the lockup doesn't happen until something in MFE
>>needs to use the network.
>
>One time, the pizza wheel was there for ages,
>but it eventually went away and the recording
>screen came up.
>
>Another, it complained about not being able to
>contact the BackEnd, and I had to quit it.

I now agree with this. This morning, I woke the machine and did the
following, per your suggestion:

- Before using MFE, I sent a ping to another machine, to be sure the
router was working. It worked instantly, to my eyes.

- I then tried to go to Watch Recordings, which resulted in the spinning pizza.

- After *9 minutes*, MFE finally reported that it could not find the
backend. I tried again to use Watch Recordings, and it locked up once
more.

>I have not been able to create a permanent hang.

My characterization of this being permanent was obviously just a case
of me being impatient :-).

So I now think there are two parts to the problem:

1. The original problem of why all attempts to reconnect to the
backend fail after a deep sleep.

2. Figure out why it takes 9 minutes for MFE to timeout. Personally,
I've always found even the 60 seconds or so it takes my linux box to
timeout to be far too long.