[mythtv] Plugin UI: Creating Buttons

Jeremy Gillick myth at mozmonkey.com
Tue Jan 23 02:09:20 UTC 2007

I'm trying to create my first full plugin and am having trouble figuring
out how to create buttons.  I want to display a number of simple textual
buttons, but all the examples I see in other plugins reference images.
Can somebody explain how to create a simple button or point me to a good
reference?

For more information, here's what I'm trying to do:  My wife likes the
way Tivo lets you find programs to record, so I'm trying to duplicate
that in myth.  It's a simple interface that finds and lists programs as
you select letters.  It looks something like this:

 Batt           |
----------      |
DEL CLR SPACE   | Batters Up
A B C D E       | Battle of the Bulge
F G H I J       | Battlestar Galactica
K L M N O       |
P Q R S T       |
U V W Z Y       |
Z               |

As you select letters, they automatically get appended to the word above
and the list on the right is narrowed down.  When your program is
displayed on the right, you can use the right arrow button to go to that
side and select the program.  For example, if 'J' is selected, pressing
the right arrow would select 'Battlestar Galactica'.

Any thoughts on how to build this interface and code would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jeremy