[mythtv] Fwd: iec958 output (not passthrough) with Alsa rate pluginproblem

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jan 18 09:36:29 UTC 2007

>>Thanks for that - I'm also running Gentoo stable, so I re-emerged
>>alsa-plugins with the libsamplerate USE flag set and I now have the
>>correct libraries. Too late to test last night so I'll report when I get
>>home tonight :-)
>>
>>I assume that Myth will no longer be able to adjust the volume since the
>>audio stream won't be going through the mixer hardware of the sound chip
>>so I guess I'll be frigging irexec to call irsend with the correct codes
>>for my theatre amp when I hit the vol+/- on my MCE remote! (I already
>> have
>>an IR blaster on it to turn it on/off).
>>
>>Cheers
>>

> To be honest, I havn't ever used the Myth/Alsa volume other than to set
> the
> initial values when it was analog. I have all my audio routed through the
> Sony receiver for both Myth and the TV. I suspect you are correct however
> since you can't adjust the volume for surround sound/passthrough either.
> In
> my case it was easier to program my Philips universal remote to
> "punch-through" the volume controls to the surround sound receiver
> regardless of which is the current "mode". The TV's digital audio output
> also bypasses the TV volume control so I needed this anyway.

OK, tried this out now and I get intermittent sound from MythMusic
(playing an mp3 file) which is about half a second on and half off. No
sound from TV playback (which I record at 48k from my pvr150 card) and the
theatre amp is not seeing a data stream either then.

I'll have a play with a CD to see if 44k1 flies but I'm not holding out
much hope. Guess I'll have to keep the theatre amp remote close by so I
can continue to switch modes when going from DVD or AC3 videos to TV &
music :-(

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks