[mythtv] Whats the deal with usability

brian turbo at talstar.com
Tue Jan 16 12:30:29 UTC 2007

On the whole, I'd agree with Justin's commentary  ...with one addition.

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 06:59 +0000, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> On 16/01/07, Imran K <gururug at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What are the main issues (wholistically) that prevent myth being deployed
> > smoothly and easily.
> >

> 1. The user, not reading the docs before starting.
>
> 2. The user, glibly making assumptions about the application (see above)

  2b.  The user, glibly making assumptions about the necessary hardware.

     Anybody who has read -users, or any other MythTV forum (support or
otherwise) has seen the posts --

     "I've been reading about MythTV and it sounds great!!!11!.  I found
an old Casio digital watch in my spare parts drawer that I will use as
the combined frontend/backend box and instead of a capture card I plan
on using a roomful of clerics (all are excellent typists) to faithfully
reproduce the streaming image in mpeg format on disk by entering the
information in a hex editor.  For video out, my next door neighbor's dog
has dug up an old Hercules 132-column card -- how do I get this signal
to my television?"

     (okay, maybe I exaggerated a bit...)

 - Brian