[mythtv] Fwd: iec958 output (not passthrough) with Alsa rate pluginproblem

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Jan 16 03:02:13 UTC 2007

> Not having the rate conversion would certianly be desirable, however it is
> not possible for everyone. In my case I am using the .asoundrc and the
> alsa
> rate plugin to create a high quality rate conversion and the sound is very
> good. i.e.
>
> pcm.hq48k {
>      type rate
>      slave.pcm "iec958"
>      slave.rate 48000
>      converter "samplerate_best"
> }
>
> This is easy enough to do, that providing instructions on how to setup in
> the wiki is probably sufficient. If there were a way to determine by
> probing the hardware that a rate conversion was required then I would
> recommend it being automatic and in myth, however there are also other
> reasons beyond rate to setup local pcm's. I wouldn't mind updating the
> wiking on this as soon as he flow control issue is solved. Now if I could
> just figure out how to get alsa to map a OSS emulated /dev/pcm to an
> arbrary plugin pcm instead of just mapping to hardware pcms. Some of the
> software still likes to use oss devices.

I've been trying to get my head round this for a while - I'd like
MythMusic and videos to go out the spdif connector on my SP13000. I'm
having problems identifying the digital port on the VIA982xx within the
.asoundrc file. Passthrough works fine to the port certainly works.

Could someone post an alsa config file that *ISN'T* a generic one (as per
the wiki) that just does the pcm to spdif rate change/routing that I can
play with?

Please?

Cheers

--