[mythtv] Fwd: iec958 output (not passthrough) with Alsa rate pluginproblem

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:38:15 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Mark Spieth <mark at dclabs.com.au> wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I have discovered a little problem with MythTV and audio output.  For
> ac3
> > output I'm using the passthrough feature to the iec958 device to a
> > surround
> > sound reciever.  This works fine, however when the audio is not ac3 I
> also
> > want the output to go to iec958.  I have created a rate plugin pcm
> (hq48k)
> > for alsa to change the rate from 44.1 to the 48Kz required by the
> digital
> > output device and then set the non-passthrough device to ALSA:hq48k.
> Using
>
> is this feature desirable? if so Ill add it to the multichannel audio
> patch.
> cheers
> mark

Why not do the rate conversion in your .asoundrc file?

Not all sound cards require 48KHz.  For example, sound cards based on the
Envy24 chip will pass through 44.1KHz just fine.  The reason I have a Envy24
card in my frontend, instead of using the onboard sound, is to get
44.1KHzwithout any kind of conversion.

MythMusic sounds *MUCH* better (to my ears) with my Envy24 based card
compared to my old SB Live!  I attribute this to it's ability to pass
through 44.1KHz without having to resample.

I believe I read that Intel's new HD audio spec also will pass through
44.1KHz without needing it converted to 48KHz.

John