[mythtv] Remote controller but not with LIRC

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 12:51:52 UTC 2007

just an idea, but maybe you could use the network support of lircd with the
command:
lircd --listen

and then build a custom app that sends the lircd server commands (at port
8765) much like The --connect option for lircd does (it allows you to link
two lircd install together).   I guess if you want to know the protocol,
then you could either read the lircd source code where it uses the
--connect, or packet sniff your own communications?

doing it this way means that you don't need to modify mythtv, and you don't
need to modify lircd.  wouldn't be too hard, I'd think.

A second option would be to write a wrapper around the command 'irxevent'
(from the lirc package) to insert keystrokes into the X server, and avoid
using the lirc support in myth and lircd entirely - but then you are limited
to whatever keystrokes are mapped to the keyboard.

Buzz