[mythtv] JobQueue Suggestion: Average Load of Backend

osma ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Wed Jan 10 20:24:21 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/07, osma ahvenlampi <oa at iki.fi> wrote:
> > However, I'm not entirely certain I understand why you "block out ...
> > on the chance that someone may be watching". I don't see any problems
> > running up to three background commflag and transcode jobs on a
> > single-CPU, single-disk backend/frontend while recording two programs
> > (hence two real-time commflags) and watching something...
>
> (You must have a much better single/machine than I. No amount of $$ I
> threw at a single machine would do what you mentioned, with HD
> content, without breaking down in noticable ways.. esp, for example,
> HD content during logo detection phase... but that's a different
> topic...)

Ah, well - we have no HD channels around here in Finland. :(

Still, while I realize HD playback is heavy, it's at a significantly
higher priority and excercising different components of the system
than commflag and transcode are (with the exception of disk IO). The
way Linux scheduler (in recent 2.6 series, at least) works, the
background jobs still shouldn't affect the playback, even with HD
content. Perhaps two disks would help to balance IO and reduce seek
requirements, but otherwise.. Can't say that I have practical
experience of that, though.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>       http://www.fishpool.org