[mythtv] DVB Radio issues

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 20:51:18 UTC 2007

Steven Ellis wrote:
> Didn't get any replies on Myth Users and I'm wondering if I should report
> these as bugs.
>
> 1. General performance issues playing DVB-S Radio. When I first tune to a
> channel I get a lot of stutters and it takes a while for the audio to
> stabilise. Appears to be an issue with the audio video sync as after a
> while it looses sync again. What is the frame rate of the fake video
> stream?

It's 25 FPS.

I've seen problems like this in some situations and haven't managed to
pin it down.  When this happened on minimyth I managed to solve it by
ensuring that mythfrontend ran as an unprivileged user rather than root.
  I still don't understand why that worked.

That may not be the problem in your case.  I suspect that this has
something to do with the data rate and buffering in the front end.  The
bit rate of a normal TV video+audio stream is substantially higher than
that of a radio+fake video stream and when I've seen stuttering it
usually seems to be accompanied by prebuffering pauses in the log.

David.