[mythtv] Connecting to database via hostname

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Mon Jan 8 12:11:50 UTC 2007

2007/1/8, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz>:

> Bert Haverkamp wrote:
> > Furthermore: I am aware that providing the backend with a stable IP
> address
> > via DHCP is also a solution. But I don't think changing the network in
> > order to install a mythbackend is a very elegant solution:-)
>
> How about making the IP stable by setting up the DHCP to assign certain
> IP based on the MAC address (HW address) of the myth backend's network
> card? That's how I do that.
>
> I know, this is the setup most treads recommend... But I would like to
> make mythtv a bit more resilient though. I want to sell a mythtv settop box
> that can be connected by each-and-everyone.  Many networks these days are
> controlled by a  (wireless) router that does the dhcp+dynamic dns
> automatically. I have such a setup, and would like to be able use it.

Alternatively, the backends should be able to figure out his own IP address
and enter this in the database, instead of entering it manually. The
frontend should only have to deal with the database server address (this
info sits in ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt.)  This would be even better, as it doesn't
require DNS now I think of it!

Regards,

Bert
www.oatfield.nl