[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390- in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Sat Jan 6 00:39:00 UTC 2007

> Right now if you create a plugin you have to make
> changes to the menu xml under mythfrontend for it to be accessed through
> the menu system. I'd envision a system where the plugin 'informs'
> mythfrontend of what menu entries are required and in which context. This
> would make installation of non-official plugins easier, more 'plug &
> play'.

Being able to register menus and have contained plugins would be nice. I
wouldn't want the relative positions of the menus to be determined by the
order plugins were initialized though.

> As for turning menu entries off, well it may not be a popular idea but
> having yet another settings screen where you can go down a list of
> menus/menu entries and tick/untick a checkbox next to each one. You could
> still edit the xml files for more dramatic changes.

Maybe centralizing a category of menu items would be nice. For things like
VCD/DVD support I'd probably just add a checkbox to the plugin config
screen; registering with a central place would be just as easy. Less
cumbersome than navigating the entire menu tree to disable specific items
(granted you lose that fine level of control, but if you want that, well you
are already editing xml files).

--
Anduin Withers