[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390- in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 09:48:21 UTC 2007

On Friday 5 January 2007 06:46, Anduin Withers wrote:
> > If playing a DVD is so lightweight and has little to do with
> > ripping a DVD or MythVideo, then why not just have a
> > libmyth or mythfrontend PlayDVD() function that would play a
> > DVD?
>
> That does seem to make more sense than a mini-plugin, would still need a
> few settings (for non-internal), but still very little code. It does
> reintroduce the "how do we turn it off" problem though.

After getting proper DVD support in the internal player I always thought the
plan was to then integrate the DVD playing part within mythfrontend itself,
I'd be happy with that solution.

Turning menu entries on/off is something that I'd combine with changing how we
deal with menus. Right now if you create a plugin you have to make changes to
the menu xml under mythfrontend for it to be accessed through the menu
system. I'd envision a system where the plugin 'informs' mythfrontend of what
menu entries are required and in which context. This would make installation
of non-official plugins easier, more 'plug & play'.

As for turning menu entries off, well it may not be a popular idea but having
yet another settings screen where you can go down a list of menus/menu
entries and tick/untick a checkbox next to each one. You could still edit the
xml files for more dramatic changes.
--
Stuart Morgan