[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390 - in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 5 07:41:43 UTC 2007

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 10:02:07PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
>> I'm starting to see that rip a DVD belongs with mythvideo. If
>> playing a DVD could be an separate lightweight plugin selection
>> without any of the rip/transcode dependencies, that may be a
>> Good Thing.
>
> Sticking my nose in....  :)
>
> If playing a DVD is so lightweight and has little to do with
> ripping a DVD or MythVideo, then why not just have a
> libmyth or mythfrontend PlayDVD() function that would play a
> DVD?  The Internal player is already in libmythtv, so there would
> be no plugin required for people who just want to play DVDs.
> The added compile time would be minimal if it truly is such
> lightweight code.  Leave the ripping and playback of other
> files to MythVideo and just have a simple "Play DVD" button
> on the default menu set.  No plugins required.

XLNT idea. I can't really speak for anyone but myself and can
only infer that many people who install myth and have a DVD
drive would want to drop in a DVD and play it without having
to jump through hoops. Most, I would assume, would not be
interested in ripping initially if ever.

Anduin Withers wrote:
> That does seem to make more sense than a mini-plugin, would
> still need a few settings (for non-internal), but still very
> little code. It does reintroduce the "how do we turn it off"
> problem though.

Possibly check for the device named in DVDDeviceLocation. This
would need to become a General setting like the audio device.
The fifth page of General next to "Monitor CD/DVD" may be a good
place. I assume, though, that this would need a new mechanism
for including or excluding the item from the menu. If that's
not easy then leave it in the menu as a reminder to buy a DVD
drive for the new myth box. This would be a better menu choice
than "Watch TV" anyway ;-). Naming was mentioned earlier. How
about "Watch DVD" to complement "Watch TV"?

--  bjm